The overall objective of the project is to stimulate investment in and implementation of Power-to-X technologies by developing innovative direct and indirect conversion processes for the chemical industry towards higher TRL’s, while making use of renewable electricity and lowering the carbon footprint. With these technologies, valuable fuels and platform chemicals can be produced from renewable raw materials while decreasing costs and increasing flexibility. The aim is to develop at least two pilot demonstrators at TRL 6 – 7 and two bench scale pilot installations at TRL 4 with supporting feasibility evaluations, thereby lowering the risks of investment for companies, especially SME's, and positioning the 2 Seas region as an innovation leader in Power-to-X sustainable technologies. The main outputs are:
- Two highly flexible Power-to-X pilot demonstrators, one for the indirect conversion of electricity to fuels and one for the direct conversion of electricity with CO2 to platform chemicals;
- A highly flexible Power-to-X bench scale pilot installation for the direct electrochemical production of chemicals;
- A bench scale pilot installation for lifetime testing of novel electrolyser concepts;
- Two feasibility studies for Power-to-X technologies (one each for the direct and indirect routes) which are based on high level system analysis, roadmapping, detailed business case calculations, and a technology implementation plan.
Cross border approach:
- The need for combining resources from all of the member states, in terms of knowledge, personnel and financing, in order to make significant steps in the development of Power-to-X technologies, thereby establishing infrastructure that increases the cost-effectiveness of future relevant research projects for the region.
- The need to establish a critical mass of highly trained personnel and research groups specialized in the field of Power-to-X technologies. This will attract more researchers to the area and be able to support the industry when they will need to hire new personnel as the technologies are implemented.